Whitnash couple have lucky escape from house fire - The Leamington Observer

Whitnash couple have lucky escape from house fire

Leamington Editorial 5th Oct, 2016 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016   0

FIRE chiefs are reminding people to make sure their smoke detectors are working after a Whitnash couple had a lucky escape.

Firefighters were called to Brunel Close around 3.30am on Wednesday (October 5) and arrived to find the first floor of the house well alight.

The couple made it out the house safely but the fire spread quickly because there were no working smoke alarms upstairs.

Declan Patterson from Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “On our arrival, we were pleased to see the residents had managed to get out of the house before the fire took hold.




“Luckily the male resident did wake up to see the fire and was able to get both himself and his wife to safety.

“However, had the resident not spotted the fire, then we could well be talking about a very different story. So if you take anything away from this incident, please make sure that it is – that working smoke alarms save lives! I cannot stress enough how many times we turn up to incidents like this and see the devastating effects a fire can cause.


“The quicker the detection of a fire, the quicker you can call out the fire and rescue service. So please ensure that you install a working smoke alarm on each floor of your home and check them regularly!”

Visit www.warwickshire.gov.uk/firesafetycheck for more information.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Leamington Observer newspaper.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Leamington Observer.

Subscribe

Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Announcements

Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.