Khalsa make a good point

Wednesday 06 February 2013 Updated: 06/02 19:24

Khalsa 2 Leek 2

AFTER an extremely long winter break, Khalsa returned to National League Conference North action and shared the spoils with title-chasing Leek at St Nicholas Park on Saturday.

Khalsa would have probably settled for a draw before kick-off but it proved a disappointing outcome as they squandered a two goal first half lead.

Khalsa’s preparation was far from ideal due to adverse weather conditions during the break making training and pre-season friendlies impossible.

They weathered a spell of early pressure which ended when keeper Chris Hurst comfortably dealt with the first short corner of the game.

Khalsa broke the deadlock after forcing a short corner from which Aaron Nagra powerfully flicked the ball into the corner of the net.

Khalsa continued to dominate with Ben Stephenson, Scott Angliss and Jo Colantonio enjoying plenty of possession, while front-runners Alex Idoine and Anit Chundasama constantly troubled the visiting defence and keeper.

The lead was deservedly doubled when Angliss ended a purposeful run down the wing and delivered a cross to the unmarked Idione who smashed home a superb reverse stick strike from the top of the circle.

Leek hit back and reduced the arrears just before the break with a well executed short corner.

Jas Singh starred in the second half with good support from Amritpal Atwal, Scott Cordon and returning England veteran international Adie Betts in midfield.

Singh was instrumental in putting Idione through on goal but a tame shot was easily saved.

Leek piled on the pressure and had an effort disallowed due to dangerous play, while a penalty flick was superbly saved by Hurst.

The visitors eventually levelled and both sides had chances to grab a winner in the closing stages.

Khalsa went closest when Singh combined with Idione to fashion a clear cut opening only to be denied by keeper.

Khalsa entertain Sheffield Hallam on Sunday.

The 2nds were held to a 1-1 draw by Sutton Coldfield on Saturday with man of the match Bhavan Singh Thiara on target.

Thiara also scooped the man of the match accolade as the 2nds thrashed lowly Loughborough Town 10-4 on Sunday.

Will Kenney-Herbert and Navdeep Singh Hayer also caught the eye for Khalsa who led 7-3 at half time.

The 3rds drew 1-1 at Bloxwich on Saturday with man of the match Balbir Singh Sarai on the mark. They followed up with a 3-2 success over Stone 24 hours later thanks to goals from Gurmail Singh Chana, Satvarg Singh Nijjar.

Share This

Regional sport »

Stratford Observer
Cup action for shooters

STRATFORD & District Airgun League teams sent their most accurate ...

Rugby Observer
Winning streak continues for Coventry Blaze

STEVEN Goertzen wants Blaze to take care of business and ...

Coventry Observer
Coventry Blaze miss out on Challenge Cup final

BLAZE coach Chuck Weber insists his focus remains on the ...

Redditch Standard
Boss backs new boy

REDDITCH United manager Liam McDonald said he had no qualms ...