Kenilworth restaurant fined after near fatal electric shock

By Kevin Unitt Tuesday 29 January 2013 Updated: 29/01 13:18

THE COMPANY which runs the Almanack restaurant in Kenilworth has been fined £15,000 after a worker suffered a potentially fatal electric shock.

Peach Pub Company Ltd pleaded guilty to two health and safety offences in a hearing at Nuneaton Magistrates Court on Thursday (January 24). Warwick District Council, which brought the charges, was awarded full costs of £6,675.

The court heard that last June a Polish agency worker, Agnes Sieczkowska, was working in the kitchen of the Abbey End restaurant. As she picked up a metal rimmed bucket from a stainless steel shelf below the waste disposal unit, she received a severe electric shock.

Agnes had come into contact with a live electric cable protruding from the waste disposal unit control box and lost consciousness for a short period of time before an ambulance was called.

When interviewed she said she had suffered a less severe electric shock from the waste disposal unit about a month prior to the incident.

A colleague reported his concern to the pub management but no action was taken. Agnes has been unable to return to work since the accident.

Coun Michael Coker, district council environment chief, said: “There was a clear potential in this case for serious injury and it was a matter of sheer luck that the employee did not receive a fatal electric shock.

"It is important that employers do not become complacent about the use and maintenance of electrical systems, and it is essential that businesses engage competent contractors to undertake planned maintenance.”

Regional news »


Stratford Observer
M40 crash gridlock

A FOUR car smash on the M40 caused gridlock on ...

Rugby Observer
Police seek man in sexual assault investigation

POLICE are trying to trace a man who may be ...

Coventry Observer
Poorest families set to pay higher council tax

THOUSANDS of the poorest households in Coventry are set to ...

Redditch Standard
Fire hits town centre businesses and homes

HOMES and businesses in the town centre have been affected ...