Chilton keeps double hopes alive

Wednesday 09 January 2013 Updated: 09/01 15:32

Barwell 0 Leamington 1

LEE CHILTON fired Brakes into the quarter-finals of the Red Insure Southern League Cup with a late winner at Barwell on Tuesday night.

The diminutive midfielder pounced two minutes from time to settle a scrappy clash and keep Brakes on course for a league and cup double.

Brakes boss Paul Holleran was forced to draft in Laurie Walker, Michael Corcoran, Tom Sharpe and Elliot Sandy on dual registration forms from Brackley Town in order to cover for injuries.

The newcomers performed well with Corcoran and Sandy both going close in the early exchanges, while Barwell's best chance fell to Jack Edwards who prodded his effort wide from a free kick.

Tom Berwick fied an angled shot just wide early in the second half before Chilton had an effort saved by keeper Liam Castle at the expense of a corner from which Sharpe headed wide.

Barwell hit back with a well struck shot from Kevin Charley which was smartly saved by Walker but with extra-time looming Brakes grabbed the only goal.

A poor clearance from Castle struck substitute Stefan Moore and the alert striker delivered a pass into the path of Chilton who burst into the area and clinically finished.

Barwell almost equalised deep into stoppage time when a free kick from Tom Bates struck the inside of the post but Brakes held on to book their place in the last eight of the competition.

Meanwhile, Brakes suffered a blow to their Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division title hopes after crashing to a heavy 5-1 defeat at Stourbridge on Saturday.

Matt Dodd had an early effort smartly saved by Lewis Solly but Jordan Fitzpatrick fired the home side ahead after 12 minutes.

Brakes pressed the self destruction button eight minutes later when Jamie Hood's attempted header back to keeper Niall Cooper was intercepted by Ben Billingham who neatly finished.

Brakes problems increased ten minutes before the break when Cooper failed to hold Drew Canavan's shot and Sean Evans pounced from close range following a goalmouth scramble.

The visitors survived a scare when Billingham headed Luke Benbow's cross against the bar and took full advantage as Stefan Moore reduced the arrears just before half time by scoring his fourth goal in two games.

But hopes of a fightback faded and it was no surprise when Billingham restored the three goal cushion with a clinical finish.

Benbow added to Brakes misery by beating Jamie Hood just inside the penalty area and curling a delightful shot into the far corner of the net.

And to complete a miserable afternoon, Brakes substitute Alex Taylor was stretchered off in the closing stages.

Brakes resume their title challenge by entertaining lowly Frome Town this Saturday (3pm) before making the long journey to Weymouth on Tuesday (7.45pm).

Popular »

More sport »

Saints start year on a winning note

Southam United 3 Blackwood 2 PLAYING their first

Derby day joy for Kenilworth

Leamington 15 Kenilworth 26 TITLE-chasing Kenilworth recorded a

Wilkinson leads the way on a golden day

THERE were some golden performances as Leamington C

Star guests at top meeting

LAST year’s Grand National winner and the 2010

Regional sport »

Stratford Observer
Athletes recall Worcester runs

SEVERAL Stratford Athletic Club members were in action at the ...

Rugby Observer
Coventry Bees boss upbeat despite Poole defeat

GARY Havelock believes that two controversial refereeing decisions cost his ...

Coventry Observer
Coventry Bees taste first defeat of the season

BEES suffered their first defeat of the season as Elite ...

Redditch Standard
Bears stars back Studley juniors

STUDLEY Cricket Club’s junior coaching launch evening was a big ...