Brakes left in the dark at Rugby

Wednesday 17 October 2012 Updated: 17/10 17:36

LEAMINGTON face a return trip to Rugby Town after their Red Insure League Cup first round tie was abandoned after 75 minutes due to floodlight failure at Butlin Road on Tuesday night.

Brakes were leading 1-0, thanks to an early goal from James Husband, when a power failure reduced lighting levels and forced referee Shaun Barry to call an early halt.

The tie has been swiftly rearranged for Tuesday, October 30 which means Brakes scheduled Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division clash at Barwell on the same night is postponed again.

As 75 minutes had been played no refunds or passes can be issued but, following discussions between both clubs, half price admission will apply for the replayed game with adults £4 and concessions £2.

Brakes made a promising start with Liam Daly and James Mace both going close before the visitors took a 13th minute lead.

The home defence only cleared Ricky Johnson’s cross as far as Husband who drilled a low shot beyond keeper David Bevan.

It was no more than the visitors deserved but Rugby hit back through Nic Evangelinos whose effort was saved by the legs of keeper Niall Cooper.

Midfielder Alex Taylor almost doubled the lead by firing over at the end of a flowing move but former Brakes striker David Kolodynski went close for his new club with a powerful cross shot.

Evangelinos and Ellis Myles were only just off target as Rugby started the second half in determined fashion.

The home side continued to look the more lively and Sam Youngs unleashed a fine 20-yard shot which was superbly tipped over the bar by Cooper at full stretch.

Brakes were hanging on to their slender advantage when some of the bulbs went out and, after a 15 minute delay, Mr Barry took the players off the pitch much to the annoyance of the travelling Brakes fans.

Meanwhile, Brakes boosted their Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division title bid with a comfortable 2-0 victory at Bashley on Saturday.

The success stretched their impressive unbeaten league run to 21 games and moved them up to second place in the table, just two points behind new leaders Hemel Hempstead Town with two games in hand.

Bashley were the last team to defeat Paul Holleran’s side back in February but they never looked like repeating the feat.

Brakes always looked the most likely althought it took 27 minutes before they broke the deadlock through Matt Dodd who turned in a low cross from Tom Berwick.

Debutant keeper Niall Cooper produced a couple of smart saves to protect the advantage before Brakes wrapped up the points in the closing stages when Dodd turned provider by setting up substitute Alex Taylor who neatly finished.

Brakes are without a game this Saturday due to Gosport Borough’s involvement in the FA Cup but they visit Midland Alliance outfit Alvechurch for a Birmingham Senior Cup first round tie on Tuesday (7.45pm).

The Gosport game will now be played on Tuesday, November 27.

The recently postponed league fixture against Kettering Town at the New Windmill has been re-scheduled for Tuesday, November 13.

But it is subject to the Northamptonshire club meeting the requirements laid down by the league in order for them to re-commence playing.

Regional sport »

Stratford Observer
Town are relishing Merthyr challenge

CARL ADAMS says Stratford Town will be ready for their ...

Rugby Observer
Valley’s play-off hopes hang by a thread

RUGBY Town’s end-of-season fate now lies out of their own ...

Coventry Observer
City Ladies move back on top

COVENTRY City Ladies moved three points clear at the top ...

Redditch Standard
Reds hope for final day drama

REDDITCH United boss Liam McDonald said his side should be ...